Trusts for Estate Planning
Santa Barbara and Ventura County Attorney
The Law Offices of Michelle Evans helps clients make and implement estate plans to protect the people and assets that are most important to them. When drafting the vital legal documents, we consider tax planning, Medicaid planning, veterans benefits, business planning and asset protection strategies. We welcome clients of any income level and at any stage of life, including caregivers of the elderly, throughout the Central Coast, including the areas of Santa Barbara and Ventura County.
We Help Individuals Plan for the Future
A properly drafted Will or Trust is a guide map that leaves no doubt about your wishes. Many individuals are under the misconception that a Will alone will allow them to avoid a probate and thereby, court. This is not true and in many instances, a Trust is a much more effective tool. Some of the trusts which we create for clients include:
- Living Trusts: A trust that the creator can alter or cancel during his or her lifetime. Only after death does the property transfer to the beneficiaries.
- Marital Trusts: This trust attempts to avoid estate taxes by transferring an unlimited of property to a spouse upon the first spouse’s death. No estate taxes are due and the surviving spouse receives the income from the assets generated in this trust.
- Insurance Trusts: An Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust (ILIT) is a trust that provides money to your beneficiaries at the time of your death. It can be a useful tool in setting aside cash proceeds to pay estate taxes with later.
- Special Needs Trusts: This trust is important when you have a disabled family member. It allows them to receive income without reducing their ability to qualify for public assistance. These trusts are irrevocable, and are thus protected from creditors.
- Charitable Trusts: These trusts give property to a charity in order to avoid taxes. We can create contingent trusts that give property to a charity only if you are facing estate taxes.
Personal Care in Estate Planning
A trust is a helpful estate planning tool for those people who wish to avoid estate taxes and the high costs associated with probate. At the Law Offices of Michelle Evans, we will not set up a trust that you do not need. Our firm will work with you to create an estate plan which provides the protection you are seeking without any unnecessary confusion. We will discuss your concerns and your needs before recommending any type of plan. We feel that by understanding your state of affairs, we can create an estate plan that is truly reflective of your goals.
Contact an Experienced Santa Barbara Trust Attorney
To learn more about how proper estate planning can help you and your surviving loved ones avoid probate and potential Will disputes, contact the Law Offices of Michelle Evans, we work with clients in both the Santa Barbara and Ventura areas. To schedule a free consultation call us at 805-